Sunday, June 22, 2014

Habits or Genetics: What are you passing along?

I have been working on this post for over a week now. I have deleted more lines than I have left typed. I know this is going to be a touchy one so I battle between being blunt and being sensitive! First, my sensitive side tells me to let you know that I have been the habit person, the habit parent, and the habit enabler! BUT the very blunt no filter side of me sees malnutrition & obese children and it absolutely enrages me.  It is one thing to destroy your body, but when you aide in destroying someone else's body......


Most of us have set in the doctor's office and have had to go through a family history report. How many of those things that we list off are actually based more on family habit's rather than actual family genes? At one point in time we have all played the blame game for disliking our bodies. How many times have you said or heard "it's genetic"?  Truthfully most of our problems are more bad habits that have been inherited than an actual bad gene. Since I am not one to point fingers I will use myself as an example!

I have a family history of: Diabetics, High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Breast Cancer, Mental Disorder, to name a few. Now the question is how many of those are more lifestyle based than a genetic precursor? Let's also take into account things like addiction, I can't count how many times I have heard well alcohol addiction runs in your family.. Really people! Don't set yourself up for that failure.  What is in your gene's should not dictate how you live your life. This is the plate we were handed, full of all this stuff we don't want anything to do with. So are we going to pile more on top of it to pass it along to our children? Are we going to brown bag our kids health or are we going to dump it in the trash and start from scratch? I was watching Katie when a Dr. was talking about the connection between mind and body. They talked about how genetically one 1/3 of the genes pre-disposes us to family diseases. That means 2/3 of your life is completely up to YOU!
  (Also fun fact they stated is 85% of all human disease is caused or irritated by stress!)
Both my husband and I have eating disorders in our families. Both on either extremes of the scale, both taking valuable time off lives. Oddly this is something that can be controlled with something as simple as the right food. FOOD is the answer to so many of those health conditions I listed above. I will be the first to admit it is easier in my life to take the quick and easy route to dinner, especially when my husband has been gone for days and I am just so exhausted that cooking and making my kitchen dirty causes me extreme grief! We as a society have got to be more like the tortoise than the hare.. Slow and steady not only wins the race but prolongs your life! 
 I am also doing my best to break the pattern of food being a reward. That is a bad habit I have for myself and my kids. I used to reward myself with food and it wound me up in the chunky chick section of life! Instead I am trying to do reward with "things" instead of a trip to DQ! It seems to be working pretty well although let's be honest I want DQ over a trip to the park or pool.
This is where I will end my ramblings on this subject. I could go on for days and make this the most boring post ever. I guess my reasoning for it is so many  people comment on my motivation and dedication and how they wish they could find theirs.
These pictures below. They are the simplest answer I have to that. It opens into so many more smaller reasons but in the end it all adds up to:
Healthy Family, Lots of love, Endless Happiness






Happy Chasing 
H

No comments:

Post a Comment